Current Reading

This blog is primarily for me to blog my responses to books that I'm reading. Sometimes I blog about other stuff too, though.

Poverty by America by Matthew Desmond.

Word cloud

Word cloud

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Several chapters into Jussim: Is zeitgeist a self-fulfilling prophecy?

I'm about a quarter of the way through Jussim's book, and a lot of it is fairly technical.  I'd rather not wade through his critiques of studies on bias and expectations and self-fulfilling prophecies.  Rather, I'll just note that if we take the findings of those studies seriously, and take the narrative around those finding seriously, then amidst an intellectual zeitgeist of "People are way more biased and subject to influence than they realize!" isn't it inevitable that psychologists will find bias and influence and self-fulfilling prophecies everywhere?

No comments: