Current Reading

This blog is primarily for me to blog my responses to books that I'm reading. Sometimes I blog about other stuff too, though.

Poverty by America by Matthew Desmond.

Word cloud

Word cloud

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Galileo: Parting shots

I'm almost done with selections from "Two New Sciences."  This is mostly about falling objects, buoyance, pendulums, and solid mechanics.  It's well-argued, but it doesn't pack the same philosophical punch as "Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems."  That's fine--the subject matter doesn't lend itself to the same philosophical punch.  I view "Two New Sciences" as a book that physicists should challenge themselves with (and I intend to take up that challenge by getting the whole thing and reading it cover-to-cover at some point).  If you really get Newtonian mechanics, you'll get "Two New Sciences."  On the other hand, I view "Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems" as a matter of historical and cultural literacy, being a book that sparked an infamous episode in the history of science and religion, and also brought about a fundamental transformation of how the Western world sees the universe.  I intend to plug that gap in my literacy by re-reading it at some point.  When I read it several years ago it was a hard slog, but now that I've digested some excerpts and contemporary documents with annotation, I'm ready to try again.

Next book blogging project to be announced soon.

No comments: