Current Reading

This blog is primarily for me to blog my responses to books that I'm reading. Sometimes I blog about other stuff too, though.

Poverty by America by Matthew Desmond.

Word cloud

Word cloud

Monday, July 18, 2016

More sages on the pages

The Atlantic has an article defending the college lecture, written by Christine Gross-Loh.  It is interesting to see this; they are hardly a counter-establishment venue, but they do tend to publish a certain amount of commentary deemed to be within the range of safe contrarianism.

I learned of this article from a piece by Joshua Kim at Inside Higher Ed.  Kim argues that most people in instructional design hold opinions on lecturing that are more nuanced than those that the Atlantic article is responding to.  That may be true, but the currents that Gross-Loh highlights are nonetheless real.  I've submitted a comment saying that; I won't regurgitate it here because it's nothing I haven't said a million times before and it will show up soon enough at IHE.

No comments: