Current Reading

This blog is primarily for me to blog my responses to books that I'm reading. Sometimes I blog about other stuff too, though.

Poverty by America by Matthew Desmond.

Word cloud

Word cloud

Friday, July 8, 2016

The future of admissions

A recent poll shows that the public strongly opposes affirmative action in college admissions. Of course, most people who work in colleges support some form of affirmative action, and for justifiable reasons.  Therefore, as I have discussed before, if we cannot take disadvantaged status into account  and simply give people an opportunity on the basis of their disadvantaged status, we will have to continue to insist that disadvantage doesn't actually lead to under-preparation or under-performance, and hence we will have to pretend that measures of performance and/or preparation don't really matter.

I wish we could just give a leg up to the disadvantaged instead of pretending that measures of book smarts mean nothing.

No comments: